eCommerce is the process of selling goods and services online. There’s endless off-the-shelf eCommerce platforms that you can use to get started with, but the two big players are Magento and WooCommerce (developed by WordPress).
Both platforms are open source, therefore completely free to use and modify. Both have enormous communities of supporters, and both make the online purchasing experience a joy for the customer. So why choose one over the other? Use our comparison below to help you choose the best solution for your business.
- Magento can handle up to 500,000 different products so if your product-base is already huge and you aren’t showing signs of slowing, Magento is a safe bet.
- This platform is completely devoted to eCommerce, so all the code is dedicated to your online store.
- Although it’s brilliant at handling large numbers of products, only having a small online shop isn’t a good use of the power of Magento.
- It isn’t easy to customise Magento as a non-technical. Any advanced functionality or customisations will require experts.
- Perfect for small businesses, its plug & play stance makes it easy to add your products, and start selling online.
- WooCommerce is a plugin for WordPress so not all the code is for your online store. This means you may have some unneeded or unwanted functionality.
- The add-ons for WooCommerce are a lot cheaper – sometimes free – when you compare to Magento equivalents.
If you’re thinking about starting to sell your products online, or you want to understand more about eCommerce, give our team a call today on 0800 084 3086 for free expert advice.